Jaylen Brown: Beverly Hills' explanation for event shutdown 'false' - ESPN
INGLEWOOD, Calif. — Beverly Hills police on Saturday night shut down a brand event hosted by Boston Celtics star Jaylen Brown, with the city saying the gathering lacked a permit. However, on Sunday, Brown disputed that characterization, calling a statement released by the city «completely false» while noting that hundreds of thousands of dollars of investment in the event were wasted.
«I'm offended by Beverly Hills by the statement they put out, like we applied for something and didn't get it, and we did it anyway [and] we were insubordinate,» Brown said after the NBA All-Star Game at Intuit Dome, where he made his first appearance as an All-Star starter. «I know how to follow the rules. I'm smart enough to follow the guidelines. It just seemed like somebody didn't want whatever we had going on to go on because out of everybody that was doing something, it seemed like I was the only one that gets shut down.»
Earlier Sunday, the City of Beverly Hills released a statement to The Boston Globe, saying the city had rejected a permit for the event.
«On Saturday, February 14, the Beverly Hills Police Department (BHPD) responded to an event taking place at a private residence in the Trousdale neighborhood of the City. An event permit had been applied for and denied by the City due to previous violations associated with events at the address,» the statement read.
«Despite the fact that the permit was denied, organizers still chose to proceed with inviting hundreds of guests knowing that it was not allowed to occur. BHPD responded and shut down the unpermitted event.»
Brown posted a video of his conversation with a Beverly Hills police officer on his social media in which he sought answers and later said, «I feel like we're being


