Asia chief hits out at Qatar over pushback on letter attacking Infantino
Aug 18 : Asian Football Confederation President Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al-Khalifa on Tuesday rejected the Qatar Football Association's assertion that he had exceeded his authority by joining UEFA and CONCACAF in criticising FIFA President Gianni Infantino.
In an unusually forthright letter, the Bahraini administrator also slammed the Qatari federation's decision to prioritise "technicalities" over the defence of the sport, deepening the growing rift within Asian soccer.
Infantino, who is seeking reelection next year, has faced open revolt after UEFA, the AFC and CONCACAF attacked his conduct and called on him to quit over his aborted bid to bring private investment into FIFA events including the World Cup.
Last week, QFA president Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani wrote to the AFC saying neither he nor the federation had been consulted before the three confederations issued their open letter.
Responding to Al-Thani in a letter reviewed by Reuters, Sheikh Salman said he "categorically denied" he had overstepped his mandate.
"I have both the authority and the responsibility to act decisively to safeguard the AFC and Asian football's position when matters of fundamental importance to ... Asian football arise," he said.
"This is in line with the legal mandate given to me in the AFC's constitution ... Its president has a responsibility to protect the interests and values of the sport.
"In circumstances such as those giving rise to the joint statement, it would be inconsistent with that responsibility for the AFC to remain silent."
'SUDDEN AND SELECTIVE' CRITICISM
In his letter last week, Al-Thani, an AFC Executive Committee member and FIFA Council member, asked the AFC to explain on what basis it considered itself authorised to speak


