Southampton expelled from Championship playoffs over Spygate - ESPN
Southampton have been kicked out of the Championship playoff final after being found guilty of spying on multiple opponents during the 2025-26 season.
The English Football League (EFL) has hit Southampton with an additional four-point deduction ahead of next term.
— Boro players on standby pending 'Spygate' verdict
Middlesbrough, who lost to Southampton in their playoff semifinal, have been reinstated and will face Hull City on Saturday for a spot in the Premier League.
Southampton have appealed the decision, sources told ESPN. It will be heard on May 20 with a decision likely to come within 24 hours.
«Subject to the outcome, it could result in a further change to Saturday's fixture,» the EFL said.
The EFL originally charged Southampton with spying on Middlesbrough ahead of the first leg of their playoff semifinal. But further charges were levelled at Southampton on May 17 «in relation to additional breaches during the 2025-26 season» that corresponded to their fixture against Oxford United in Dec. 2025 and Ipswich in April 2026.
Southampton admitted breaches of the regulations «requiring clubs to act with the utmost good faith and prohibiting the observation of another club's training session within 72 hours of a scheduled match.»
The EFL said the written reasons for the commission's sanctions would be issued in due course, and that it would now hold further discussions with the three clubs regarding the implications of the decision.
Middlesbrough, which had called last week for Southampton to be kicked out over the scandal, issued a statement welcoming the decision, adding: «We believe this sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct.
»As a club, we are now focused on


