Sources: Bucs, Vea agree to 1-year extension to end hold-in - ESPN
TAMPA, Fla. — The hold-in for Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive tackle Vita Vea has ended, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.
Vea and his agent, Collin Roberts, reached an agreement with the Bucs on a one-year extension that sources said adds $6 million to the $18 million he was already set to make in 2026 for a total of $24 million, plus an additional $24 million in 2027. He'll make $30 million guaranteed, a source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.
Last month, prior to the start of training camp, Vea, 31, had requested a trade, as he had no guaranteed money on his existing deal and he wanted something that reflected market value and contributions. As it stood, Vea's deal put him 20th in the league in pay among interior defensive linemen.
Vea participated in the team's conditioning test on the reporting date of July 28. But he suffered a back injury, and he has not participated in a single training camp practice, although he has been present for classroom instruction and to assist teammates with drills.
As of Tuesday afternoon, sources said there was no movement. But things began to heat up Tuesday night, culminating in the new contract.
The $24 million per year that Vea will now make over the next two seasons ties him with Carolina Panthers defensive tackle Derrick Brown for 11th in the league among interior defensive tackles.
Bucs general manager Jason Licht said earlier this month that the team would not be trading Vea although he acknowledged that teams did inquire. He added that it's not outside the norm this time of year to field calls. He also said at the time that he «didn't want a minor thing to become a major thing.»
Through three weeks of camp and Vea also not participating in mandatory minicamp — things were getting to


