Real Madrid provide ‘all available evidence’ to UEFA in Vinicius racism case
Real Madrid say they have supplied “all available evidence” to UEFA as the governing body investigates allegations of racism made by their forward Vinicius Junior.
The Brazilian says he reported racial abuse by a Benfica player to referee Francois Letexier during Tuesday’s Champions League knockout round play-off tie in Lisbon.
Real said this player was Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni.
UEFA said on Wednesday it had opened a disciplinary investigation into events at the match, and Real have now issued an update.
“Real Madrid CF announces that it has today provided UEFA with all available evidence regarding the incidents that occurred (on) Tuesday, February 17, during the Champions League match that our team played in Lisbon against SL Benfica,” a club statement read.
“Our club has actively co-operated with the investigation opened by UEFA following the unacceptable episodes of racism experienced during that match.
“Real Madrid is grateful for the unanimous support and affection that our player Vinicius Jr. has received from all sectors of the global football community.
“Real Madrid will continue working, in collaboration with all institutions, to eradicate racism, violence and hatred in sport and in society.”
The match was paused in line with UEFA regulations after Vinicius alleged he had been abused after celebrating scoring for Real, resulting in a stoppage in play that lasted 10 minutes, with Vinicius going on to complete the full game.
After the game, Vinicius posted in Portuguese on his Instagram story: “Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to put their shirts in their mouths to demonstrate how weak they are.
“But they have protection from others who, theoretically, have the obligation to punish. Nothing


