Palace boss Glasner shrugs off fan protest banner demanding exit
LONDON, Feb 22 : Crystal Palace manager Oliver Glasner insisted he retains the Premier League club's backing after supporters unfurled a banner calling for his dismissal during Sunday's dramatic 1-0 victory over bottom side Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Palace won after Evann Guessand scored in the 90th minute against 10-man Wolves, lifting them to 13th in the table.
During the game, a protest banner at Selhurst Park read "Opportunities missed - board inept. Fans disrespected - Glasner finished." But the Austrian coach revealed he had received reassurances from Palace's hierarchy about his position.
"I spoke to the board, to the chairman (Steve Parish), to the sporting director (Matt Hobbs) and they said, 'No we think you are the right one'," Glasner told the BBC.
"For me, it's important that they (fans) support the team and they did it until the end. Of course, the fans are like us all, disappointed with some results and some parts of the game - that's normal."
'STAY HUMBLE'
The fans' opposition to Glasner stemmed from his comments earlier this week when he urged them to "stay humble" after they called for his sacking following a 1-1 draw at Zrinjski Mostar in the Conference League playoffs.
He suggested the critics had lost perspective after guiding Palace to the FA Cup last year, the club's first major trophy in 120 years.
"We had the best two years in Crystal Palace's history and then it's not so easy for a club to say 'Hey, it's better you leave'," he added.
Glasner, 51, said last month that he would leave Palace after his contract ends this season and clarified his position amid speculation about his future.
"I don't know if the club has a different idea, I don't want to stay in the way and then we will find a solution," he said.


