Former world champ Zolani Tete ambushed, killed in South Africa - ESPN
Former world champion boxer Zolani Tete was shot and killed outside his home in South Africa, government officials said Friday. He was 38.
Gayton McKenzie, South Africa's sports, arts and culture minister, said Tete was killed in his car and that a 27-year-old woman who was in the vehicle with him was shot multiple times and is hospitalized.
Police said the shooting took place at Mdantsane, Eastern Cape, and that Tete was arriving at his residence and waiting for the gate to open when he was ambushed by two armed suspects wearing balaclavas.
Tete, who once held the WBO bantamweight title (2017-19), as well as secondary titles with the IBF and WBF, was 29-4 with 22 KOs and one no contest in 34 professional fights. He last fought in 2022, a win over Jason Cunningham in London that was later ruled a no contest when Tete tested positive for a banned substance following the fight.
He was given a four-year suspension, which expired last month. He was reportedly training for a comeback before he was shot and killed.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.


