Modric included in Croatia's preliminary World Cup squad after cheekbone surgery
May 18 : Croatia captain Luka Modric was included in the country's preliminary World Cup squad on Monday, just weeks after undergoing cheekbone surgery, as the 40-year-old midfield maestro targets a fifth tournament.
Head coach Zlatko Dalic named a 26-man provisional squad, with seven players on standby. The final Croatia squad for the World Cup, which will be co-hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico from June 11, is set to be announced on June 1.
Modric is expected to recover in time from the injury he suffered last month to anchor Croatia's midfield in what is likely to be his final appearance at the World Cup. The 2018 Ballon d'Or winner brings a wealth of experience, with 196 international caps, and remains central to Croatia's ambitions.
"He's training with a facial mask and doing well. Maybe this break helped him," Dalic told reporters. "We'll see his condition, but I don't doubt him. He'll be in good form."
Croatia head into the tournament facing a tricky test in Group L, where they will take on England, Ghana and Panama.
The squad reflects a blend of experience and emerging talent, particularly in defence. Manchester City's Josko Gvardiol and highly rated teenager Luka Vuskovic, currently on loan at Hamburger SV from Tottenham Hotspur, are among the key options at centre back.
Gvardiol, 24, only returned to action this month after five months out with a tibial fracture. He will be aiming to regain full match sharpness ahead of Croatia's opener against England on June 17 in Arlington, Texas.
"We hope he'll be ready to play. We expect him to be a major boost for us in the U.S.," Dalic said.
Vuskovic, 19, is regarded as one of Europe's most exciting defensive prospects and offers a glimpse into Croatia's future.


